Thursday, January 31, 2008

January 27th...A day I'll never forget

I really will always remember January 27th. In 2006 on that day we found out Caitlyn had Rett Syndrome. It was a shock to us all. We were still so sure that she was merely "delayed" and she would indeed catch up. I never expected to be filling out SSI forms when my daughter was days away from being just 2 1/2. I never expected that words like: gait, apraxia, seizures, melatonin, praxis, scoliosis, motor planning, oral motor issues and many more; would become part of my vocabulary. Going into the appointment on that day, I knew that we were most likely going to hear that Caitlyn had Rett Syndrome. I still wasn't ready for it!! How to you ever prepare yourself for such a day? You can prepare for giving you kids the car keys the first time, or for their first date, graduating from college or even their wedding day. But how on earth do you prepare yourself to face the facts that those wonderful days may never happen?

Last years anniversary was a lot harder. It had only been a year! I think I just cried all day! This year was a little different. I worried about it for days before, wondering what it would be like. I wondered if I would make it the through the anniversary with my friends typically developing 3 year old running around my house. I wondered if I was going to make it through feeding Caitlyn a meal without breaking down and crying. I wondered if this would be the year I accepted everything, and moved passed remembering January 27. I have not accepted everything, but I get closer every day. Before Sunday, I never in a million years thought that Tuesday (the 29th) would come and I would realize then that all the worrying I had done was for nothing. January 27th passed this year just like any other day. Now today, I sit here feeling a little guilty that I didn't remember on that day! I can't believe that I didn't break down. Does this mean I'm finally heading the right way on the road to acceptance? I pray every day for that to be the case.

Now that we have spent two years in Rett Land, families are moving here after us. I feel so blessed when families find this blog. It means so much to me that I can say to another mom: "I've been there...Yeah, I remember what that first year was like." or "I remember when Caitlyn did that...here is what we tried." Of course, I still am constantly going to those that have been in Rett Land longer. (you know who you are. Two years seems like nothing compared to the time you guys have spent here. I see what you have done for your daughter, and know that I am as capable as you to advocate for and teach my daughter. Thanks!) Together, as Rett parents in this land, we can hold each other up and strive to the next step. Together we can hope and dream for a chance to move to a new land. I never asked to move here...but 2 years ago I never imagined I meet the people here that I have. Amazing moms and dads (and Grandma's...) that would do anything for their kids. I feel so blessed to have gotten to know each and every one of you. I lift my glass and say "Here's to another year in Rett Land: The most unfair place I've ever been...But also the most supportive!" I'm pleased to be part of the greater Rett family.

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

Rebecca,
Congratulations on two years....I am not sure what I mean by that actually. Of course you made it - you did more than that you have laughed and cried and cheered Caitlyn on for TWO years of Rett. Not to mention the "newer" moms like me that you MEAN THE WORLD to! "Here is to YOU and to Caitlyn" We wish you an upcoming year of milestones met and understanding/loving/ supportive Kindergarten teachers and LOTS of love and laughter!!
Hugs from Indiana!