Thursday, April 09, 2009

Some good and some bad

Of course we should start with the good!!!!!! I can't believe I never posted this...Caitlyn's school progress report came out in early March...Now, she has been on an IEP for nearly 3 years now and has NEVER met a goal. We have seen a lot of "making progress but goal not yet met," or "expected to meet by end of period" and then never meeting it...Well, I am soooo pleased to tell everyone that Caitlyn met her first two goals!!! They are both simple self help goals. One is eating from a loaded fork, which she is doing wonderfully well with! Now, if only we can get her to not throw the fork across the room after taking the bite...Do they sell weighted forks anywhere? The other goal is putting her tray away after lunch. It think this goals is significantly adapted to look something like Caitlyn walking a couple of steps to a bin at the end of her table, and it being done with a considerable amount of support to direct the tray where it needs to go, but she gets it! And they are accepting the process as meeting the goal, because it is obvious by her eye gaze that she gets the instruction, just needs help with the motor planning to complete the process.

I don't know if I posted on this yet...I was kind of waiting until we received it so I could post pictures...The school district is getting us a child specific weighted blanket to help facilitate with communication! It is amazing have fast that pressure pulls Caitlyn out of a melt down, and allows her to communicate what she needs!!

Now a little bit of not so good news...We seem to be dealing with an increase in seizures. It is so frustrating to see, when we just added a new med! I know that it is most likely because she is not to a therapeutic level on the Depakote yet. I really hope it isn't in fact the addition of the Depakote! She was reported to have a few yesterday, and she had one today. They do continue to be short, but scary when she is standing. I am afraid she is going to fall one of these days...

Ok...Caitlyn's kindergarten class is going on a field trip soon. We are hoping to find a way for Caitlyn to be included for this field trip, but it is a lot of walking on uneven ground at a nature place...I wonder how the Maclaren would do off roading...Or maybe the school district would have a chair she could use...I just don't want her to miss out on all the fresh air! She'd love it!

1 comment:

Crystal said...

They do have weighted utensils in abilitations :-) I also have something I used to use with alana that straps a normal utensil to their hand so they cant throw it, drop it etc. I'll bring it to bunko tonight since we dont use ti anymore!