Monday, July 12, 2010

A long time coming...our addition

Wow, where has time gone? We were without internet for a few months, but are back now!! So much has happened since last I posted!! First, the biggest even occurred on April 15th. No, filing income taxes was not the highlight of the last 8 months! At 7:30 pm on April 15, 2010 we became a family of 4. We welcomed to our home Gunner Thor Christofferson.

His arrival was mostly uneventful. I started having contractions the Saturday before he was born. They would go every 5 minutes for about 40 minutes, then stop for a couple of hours. On Monday, my doctor checked me and nothing had changed! Wednesday April 14th, I went in for my weekly NST, to monitor his heart rate. He was having some dips, so they kept me for induction. It was a slow process. I was admitted, and pitocin began at about 10pm. They had to shut it off early in the morning, because the baby was struggling a little. After shift change, my new nurse at 7am figured out that Gunner's heart rate dips were related to my position during contractions. Once we figured this out, we were able to begin the pitocin again. I went from 0 cm at 7:30 am, to 3cm at 9am. Then, nothing changed. At 3:00, they came in and broke my water, and I was about 4cm by then. By 3:30 I was ready for an epidural. It was put in, though never fully worked. I went from 4 cm at 3:30, to 10 cm at 7pm! I felt way more with this delivery than with Caitlyn! It was amazing...Gunner was put on my chest immediately. I don't think I took a breath until I heard him breath. He is perfect! He was 8lbs 2 oz, 20 inches.

When we came home, Caitlyn seemed excited. It was all new, people were coming over to see the baby. Everything was going well. On the evening of April 25, at 10 days old, Gunner became unresponsive and lethargic. Prior to this, a simple diaper change would wake him up. Given our experiences with Caitlyn, we didn't mess around. We were scared, to say the least. I sat in the bedroom with him, crying, while Eric called 911. They decided it best to transport him to the hospital. He slowly began to improve. They did blood and urine cultures. Nothing showed up. The on-call ped felt that the event was neurological in origin, and ordered a CT scan. Thank God, that was clean! They decided to admit him for observation. As we were waiting for a bed to be available, I layed on the ER bed holding my sleeping baby. The oxygen monitors kept alarming as his levels would dip. They ordered a chest x-ray. It too, was clean. I guess the way I held him constricted his air way. We may never know exactly what happened on that day. We suspect it may have been a seizure, or a simple blood sugar drop that he recovered from. What we do know is that he is healthy and well, and nothing has happened since!

1 comment:

Justine said...

Welcome back! I was starting to worry. Congrats on the new addition, he is positively gorgeous! I'm glad everything turned out well after his scare.