Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Inside the mind of a Young Women with Rett Syndrome

Hello friends and family. I hope that everyone had a wonderful Easter. Ours was relaxing and enjoyable. Caitlyn and I are enjoying our week together, as she is on Spring break this week.

I am writing to tell you about an amazing blog I came across through a link on Brooklyn's. Karly is a young women with Rett Syndrome. She has her very own blog. She has the ability to type (haven't found out the hows yet) and she writes about some of her feelings. A quote off of her recent post says "When I was in elementary school the therapists and teachers were convinced I was functioning at an infantile level. It was painful to hear what they were presuming about me. I was so sad that none of them tried to give me a way to communicate with them." -Karly (click quote to access Karly's website)

Please take a minute to read more about what Karly shares with us. As we come in contact with Caitlyn, (and any other girls with Rett Syndrome) let's keep in mind that she hears everything we say. Let us all work at finding a successful way to communicate with our Rett Angels.

2 comments:

Brooklyn said...

WELL SAID!
Our girls are in there...just like every other girl their age. I try to stress that with everyone. I probably sound like a broken record!!

karly said...

Hello Allies
I can't tell you how happy I am that opening my own page and sharing my experiences has made such an impact. I will share real soon, about my method of comminicating. My posts have been serious lately because I think I owe it to my friends, who like me, are silent, to share my experience. I am so aware of the pain assumption cause. I am so blessed to have the ability to communicate. I want you to blieve in your girls with Rett. I am so differenct because of communication