Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Warning: Angry mom of child with a disability

I feel the need to get this out there today. To spread the word and hopefully make other parents aware and help them let go of their ignorance. As you know, we recently moved into a new school district. Our original plan for next year was that Caitlyn would attend a general education kindergarten classroom with an aide. We were excited about this, but going into our future talks with the new school district we were willing to be flexible. The reason we were willing to be flexible was because the new district had a development kindergarten option that the old district didn't. They had integrated classrooms with 8 typically developing students and 8 developmentally delayed (IEP) students. Now all those parents out there with children who are disabled, you know how exciting of a program this would be. Now I hope you are sitting and prepared for some shocking news...I found out from a friend who works for the district that this program would not be happening next year. I had assumed it was a funding thing, until I asked her why. Her answer: The parents of the typically developing children were fighting the program and didn't want their child in the class! Instead they want to turn our children into some sort of toy that the other kids get to play with for a few minutes each day. Somehow my child is supposed to enter society in the future being treated like an equal. Her peers are the children her age. These children are being taught by their PARENTS that my child is different and is not an equal. These PARENTS are depriving their children of the opportunity to learn some tolerance and acceptance. These PARENTS are depriving MY child of the opportunity to have THEIR child as a role model. I am angry and disgusted that the parents of the typically developing children want their child to live in a world that continues to be ignorant and excluding of people with disabilities.

My child does not talk and she may have trouble with her hands, but my God she is learning! Her brain is all there, and she hears the things you say and she understands. If anyone from the new school district is reading this (probably not because I'm not so bold as to name the district) know that I will take this fight clear to mediation and due process to have my daughter receive the same education as the precious typical children in your district. She will be fully included. It is no longer my hope...It is my job to get her the education she deserves...

-Mom on a mission...beware

5 comments:

Doris said...

Grrrr... There was a wonderful program in Albany, NY that was exactly what you describe - The Spotted Zebra which was a great program 50% typical and 50% IEP, but in that case, we had the exact opposite problem - they didn't want Edda because she needs 1:1 or at least 2:1 and they were 3:1 or 4:1 mainly geared to autistic kids with no minimal physical needs.

Good luck!

Carrie and Avery said...

rebecca, I hope you win that fight! I totally agree the only way to change perception of disbabled people is to include them in every day life!

Brooklyn said...

I have been computerless at home. I apologize that I am just now able to comment. I HATE that you are going through all of this. People can be so hurtful. I hope things get worked out - I send all my love and big hus to ALL of you. (AND I get to meet you in less than a month.....YEA!!!)

Tiffany said...

Good for you! My name is Tiffany and I have a severely disabled child as well. I had to hire an attorney to fight our district this year. It was a nightmare! But.... now we are happy!
Our kids deserve the same as typical children. Keep up the good work and keep fighting!

Anonymous said...

In our district, we have a great program for kids with significant social skills issues. Parents are fighting to have the program moved out of the "real schools" . These special kids are only mainstreamed for gym and lunch (and not even that sometimes). People disgust me.