Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Kindergarten Update

I know everyone is probably waiting for an update from the conference, but Kindergarten is on my mind so that is going to be first. (I'm sure this will have reference to the conference)

Earlier in the year when we discussed kindergarten with Caitlyn's preschool teacher, he gave us our three options (dk, self contained, or general ed with an aide) and we chose general ed with an aide. He said he would support us in what ever decisions we made. Fast forward to May 20th. (IEP day) He makes no reference in the IEP to this placement decision, and he left the meeting before we were done! (why do they schedule them so close together?) Luckly the placement that is in there is for the current year. It was overall a very stressful meeting. He told us that he couldn't give Caitlyn credit for the things [we know she knows] because she isn't consistant. (A friend of mine said that is the most consistant thing about our girls..that they're not consistant!) So I left that meeting feeling pretty down about everything. The conference really helped me realize that even though her teachers may say things like this, she really is learning. She really really is!!!

Jump back a couple weeks before this, and let me tell you about our brief [unofficial] meeting we had with the school psychologist at the new school. I told her what we wanted to see happen, and she said that an aide in the classroom made the environment no longer the least restrictive. We told her that we wanted Caitlyn at our home school and she said (with a bit of attitude) that she wouldn't necessarily go there, it depended on where the program was she needed. I told her we wanted her in general ed. She then went into this big schpeel trying to 'sell' the idea of self contained to us, because that's not what they call it. It's academic support and the kids spend their non-academic times in the general ed classroom. I walked out of that meeting reminding myself that academics can be adapted within the general classroom. I know we will have a fight on our hands, and this is just the beginning. I'm sure by the time September comes around that psychologist wont want to see me...ever...

So that brings us to today. I think that the conference really gave me the strength to make this fight. My daughter deserves an education equal to that of any other child in the district. So today I called the psychologist and told her we needed to meet to discuss the placement. and my exact words were "It is our intention that she will be educated at her home school in a general ed classroom as the least restrictive environment per IDEA." I'm sure she'll be super eager to call me back....

I will continue to update when something new happens...But for now that's everything on the education front...

Something exciting I learned at the conference is that my daughter is all there. I have a new found energy to communicate with her. She picks her shirts in the morning (from 2-3 pre-approved by mommy), what flavor oatmeal she wants, what she wants with the oatmeal and what kind of sandwhich I should make for her lunch. She seems to have such joy from making these choices...momma and daddy are finally starting to figure her out, and she loves it!

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

"Watch out teachers....this mommy know the law!" YOU GO!!!
I am SO glad that Caitlyn is enjoying all her new choices. It kind of feels like a whole new world doesn't it!?!
Funny story - Tuesday night Charlie had made Brooklyn's milk (with WAY more Nestle strawberry quick than I use) and she took one drink and said MMMMMMMMMM
I about lost it! It was so loud that Charlie heard her from the kitchen and peeked his head around....Yep, she prefers that dad mix her milk these days!