Friday, May 30, 2008

Thoughts to Ponder-a post on mobility and other Rett things


This got to be a little depressing and kind of a pity post...Now I'll have to take a super cute picture to make up for it...


Isn't it funny how no matter how you have it, it somehow looks better on the other side? I talk to my friends who have children with Autism about how their kids always run off. They stress about it and such. I say just once I'd like it if Caitlyn would walk to the front door on her own instead of having to hold my hand. Caitlyn is very very nervous and cautious with her walking outside. She panics if we step off of the sidewalk and onto the grass, and she wont take more than a couple of steps without hold someones hand. I am a mean mom somedays. I make her step over the threshold to go in or out on her own. We have stood for near 10 minutes at times waiting for her to take that step. Mind you this is like a 1 inch step. Sometimes she will get silly when she walks, and just stop and twist which then makes it look like I'm dragging her! We were outside today and she got stuck on a hill. She almost made it to the top, then she just stopped and sat down looking at me like "mommy, why didn't you help me?" It was the most pitiful look. There are days like today when I wish she was more independent with her walking. She leaked last night while she was sleeping, so we had to wash her blanket. Well it doesn't fit in our small 1/2 size washer so we took it down to the laundry room and payed the outrageous fee of $2.25 to wash it. Well, walking down there was a trick. It's always a trick when I have things to carry. She did think it was really funny to go out the front door and head the wrong way as fast as she could (which luckily isn't that fast) giggling while she went.


I think as a parent of a child with any sort of disability it is important to try and see the brighter side...


  • I will never have to worry about her running to the street

  • We can be around a pool and even though she has the fearless love of water, she wont go in alone because she wont step down off of ANYTHING (lakes and oceans are another story)

  • She stands right by the car while I unlock it (standing in fear of her surroundings, but standing still)

  • I can go to the laundry room with her, and do my think with the clothes, and not worry about her running into the parking lot...again there is a step

  • She loves to hold my hand and will reach for it...I'll never have to worry about her pulling away from mommy

  • She loves sitting in her stroller(to the point that she almost nose dived off of Santa's lap this past Christmas because she wanted to get back in!)

  • She makes me take my time-She doesn't walk very fast, and every time she holds her breath she has to stop going places takes awhile. And then she is such a people person that she stops and looks at everyone who passes!

I used to take for granted my ability to get where I wanted to go. I never even considered how I got that way, or what it might be like otherwise. I was always in a hurry, and never really noticed my surroundings. Caitlyn has made me appreciate mobility. I see the fear on her face when we walk down a hill, or when we walk onto the grass. She is literally terrified that she may fall. I hate seeing her go through that, because at home she is so comfortable and shows no fear. I never complain about the mobility that she does have. I don't complain for the same reason that parents of children who talk shouldn't complain about the things they say. Or the same reason that parents shouldn't complain about having options for their child. I don't complain because I know first hand that their are parents out there who are thinking or might even say "at least she walks."



Chicago was hard in a lot of ways. Ever since Caitlyn was diagnosed with Rett Syndrome, I have struggled with being around other families. The first time we met another family, we drove to their house for dinner. I left feeling like I didn't fit into this community her diagnosis had put me in. I hate that she has this Rett Syndrome monster, and sometimes I feel guilty that she has the abilities that she does, even though they are limited. I hate that two girls with the same diagnosis can have it so different. I struggle to find where we fit into the community. (of course I'm in tears as I write this) I'll never forget our transition meeting when Caitlyn was aging out of birth-3. The nurse said to us "I've seen girls with Rett Syndrome, are you sure this is what she has?" This was the same lady who said to us and the staff when the year started. "It's not a matter of if the seizures get worse, it's a matter of when. They will get stronger and they will get worse and eventually the medication wont work." These are things I'll never forget. I'm proud of Caitlyn for the things she does. I know she's worked very hard to be where she is. She's come along way from the 2 1/2 yr old that the doctors said would pretty much be 2 1/2 mentally forever. She continued to gain skill even after she came out of her regression. Being handed a diagnosis is scary and it leaves you feeling even more lost. You feel like you're doing it all alone. And when your child has a condition like Rett Syndrome with such a vast difference of how it effects people you still feel all alone. Caitlyn's Rett Syndrome has made it so I've made connections that I wouldn't have made otherwise. In Chicago I met people in person that I felt like I knew everything about. I know they have Rett Syndrome in their life, but even though we share that common diagnosis our girls are all sooo different.



On a happy ending, even though our girls are so very different, they all have one thing common. Each and every girl with Retty Syndrome that you will ever see have the most amazing eyes. Let's go back in time now and look at this picture. This is from September of 2006...I think more than any other picture this shows the beauty of Rett Syndrome. The Eyes of an Angel


The Eyes of an Angel

From the Angel's mouth,

No words are heard.

Yet all those around her

Know just what she says.

From the Angel's eyes,

We hear her story.

Through her eyes we learn

Her every want and desire.

Look into the Angel's eyes,

And a story you will be told...

A wordless story full of joy...

The story of a Rett Angel.

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

I have ALWAYS loved this picture of Caitlyn (even posted it on Brooklyn's blog!) yep, our girls have the most amazing eyes. Actually, our girls are just simply amazing. Thank you for being so open on your blog - todays post especially. I think it helps other mothers, grandmothers, friends, family, teachers, heck even strangers that stumble onto your blog. You are one of the first blogs I started reading - you have been a source of strength for me from the beginning.
Yep, our girls are very different -we found that out during many of your talks last weekend. There are things I wish Brooklyn did and there are things you wish Caitlyn did. I think we will always have thoses feelings :)
One thing is for sure as Rett moms we need each other for strength, understanding, and support. I hope you know I will ALWAYS be that for you! And wheher you like it or not....I will ALWAYS be bugging you too!
Love Ya!
Kelly