Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chewlry, Neurology and school



We will of course start with Chewlry!!! I am in love with these stretchy plastic things! When I was in Chicago, I saw a girl chewing on a necklace, and I asked the dad to tell me all about it! They are called Chewlry. So that night Kelly (Brooklyn's mom and fellow Internet junky) and I looked it up on line. We found where they could be purchased, and I went home prepared!! Well, I finally got around to looking it up again a couple weeks ago. I of course had to get the mega chewlry because it said it was stronger! (well, they are also bigger and that is why it is twisted) The whole point was to give Caitlyn something to chew on other that her shirt. Let me tell you, this plastic necklace does so much more than that! We have 7 colors-blue, purple, green, red, orange, yellow and white. They haven't totally replaced the hand chewing, but they have helped. What they have done, is changed her hand pattern. She doesn't chew on her shirts (but darn it they are still wet a little because the necklace gets wet) and probably the big thing is the fact that she has almost completely eliminated the "crotch grab" from her hand patterns. I don't think I've ever talked about this, but there are days when she constantly looked as though she had wet herself because she would suck on her hands and then grab herself! (not a "i need to go potty" grab...that is a single finger point...this was a full on grab) These necklaces are a wonderful thing!!! And so worth the outrageous price I paid for them! And, no matter what color Caitlyn is wearing, she always gets to choose the color of her necklace...she wore orange one day with a brown shirt...

I couldn't find if I had posted about Caitlyn's neurology visit or not, so here is a little update. I had to work, so my wonderful loving husband Eric took her. Don't get me wrong, I love him like crazy and appreciate so much that he is an active father...but he's not the best at telling the story after the appointment...He says it went fine...next appointment is December 1st. Yippy! We have control, and are being bumped to every 6 months instead of every 3. Cross your fingers that we can keep this control...She is so much more happy seizure free! So last week the report from the doctor came...There was all this stuff about weight and follow up with nutritionist...(momma freaked out!!) Yes Caitlyn is skinny...her weight percentage is 50% for her age, but her BMI is right at 5%. Under 5% for a BMI is considered underweight. I have the BMI calculator listed on my favorites, and I run it every time we have a growth spurt! So I got all nervous wondering if the doctor was expressing concern with her weight. She has been 37 lbs since about October I think, but she grew again...she is 3'8" now. So I said something to Eric about the doctors notes...Apparently he expressed the concern to the doctor, and he said it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the nutritionist follow her...I want to live in a world where I don't have to worry about every single calorie that goes in my daughters mouth...some mom's say "please don't feed my child the high calorie juices and whole milk..." I say "please don't give my child fat free foods...she needs her fat!!!"

Another thing that through me off from the report was that they wanted another EEG before her next appointment...So I will have to call and see if they really do because Eric couldn't remember anything being said about that. I am really not looking forward to another 24 hours in the beautiful hospital...but if it really needed, we'll make it work! hmm...Maybe it is Eric's turn to stay over night!

Well, that's about it for today. I think Caitlyn and I are going to take a picnic to the river tomorrow for lunch since it is suppose to be so beautiful, so hopefully I'll come back with a lot of pictures to post!

2 comments:

Brooklyn said...

LOVE the Chewlry! I am SO glad that it is helping her. YEAH!!! Also very impressed that your hubby tackled a doctor appointment alone. Kudos to him! Adorable picture of Caitlyn, OF COURSE. SOunds like all is well and that is the way we like it!
Big Hugs from Indiana!

Brooklyn said...

she is so stinkin cute. I had to put her on my page, plus I think the Chewlry is great for the girls that need it!