Saturday, September 20, 2008

another update

I first want to apologize to those looking for pictures...I will work on that some this week.

Where to start...School first, I guess. Caitlyn's second week of school went much better than her first. She is getting the hang of things. She loves going to school. I drove her on Tuesday last week, and it was so cute! Her Kindergarten classroom is right next door to her life skills classroom. When we show up in the morning, she tries to break away and go into the K class. She knows that is where she enjoys being the most. We decided to try letting her buy lunch, thinking it would save some time and let her have more of a variety. There is a lot of choices, so we'll get to the point of letting her choose what she wants each day.

Tuesday night was curriculum night. Eric and I seem to be on the young side of K parents in her class. We enjoyed the evening. We had the opportunity to speak with her K teacher for a couple minutes. Turns out no one thought to tell her that Caitlyn's placement was only until the end of October. This is huge for us because she really seems to enjoy having Caitlyn in the class. The other kids are really warming up to her. It's great to hear about!

On the Benecalorie front, we are doing ok. We don't know yet if she is gaining, but we are able to get one container in her each day. We mix it in her propel flavored water, oatmeal, mac and cheese, pudding. I also put it in her scrambled egg mixture, or in the mixture of french toast. She is handling it pretty good. It does make her a little less constipated, but all of you other Rett parent's know that's not a bad thing! The real test will be if it is putting on any pounds...I struggle with this decision. I know she is healthy, but I also know that she is too skinny. What I struggle with is what do I do when she gains 5 pounds? Will I still be able to take care of her as easy? Will it get too hard if she gains?

Caitlyn had a great eye doctor appointment on Monday. She will be getting glasses, but first we have to find a place that will take our insurance for frames. Hopefully it will improve things over all for her.

I promise next time I post I will try and get some pictures up...

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I think that is a great idea, I would loveto be part of the October posting! I also hope to go to the conference too, will let you know for sure but having a get together with the blogging moms would be GREAT!

I am also very glad to hear that caitlyn is LOVING school!! YEAH!!

Grammy said...

Rebecca, I am so glad to hear things are going smoother for you and Caitlyn! Sounds like the K teacher is getting to know her and how GREAT is it that both classes are beside each other! I'm sure that will cut down on a lot of frustration on Caitlyn's part! Teachers just need to see how much our girls really know and help them find ways of telling them! So much of it is trial and error, finding out what works the best. Keep up the good work...it's very important that comunication continues with the teachers.