Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Anger and other feelings

Yesterday Caitlyn had a quick appointment at school to have her AFO's looked at. So, after that meeting I stayed until lunch so I could see what the mornings look like. I felt feelings of my daughter being cared for, feelings of anger, and finally feelings of knowing I'm doing the right thing by fighting.

First, the anger...There are some huge issues going on with the PE teacher that are very angering...She has issue with Caitlyn's hand mouthing. She makes them put her arm braces on, which in my mind makes the PE time no longer meaningful. Caitlyn can't do much in PE without bending her elbows! Caitlyn's aide informed me that during General Ed if she doesn't have her braces, the PE teacher makes her wear a sock over her hands!!! We are furious and I'm feeling as though it is border line abusive to humiliate her and restrict her in such a way! So, as soon as I received this information, I went to the Life Skills teacher. She said they have brought up the issue, but apparently hearing it from the teacher isn't enough. So, she asked me to please bring it up at our meeting on Thursday. I was actually in tears talking to the teacher. Can you believe it? A sock over my daughters hands because she can't handle the spit!

I have questioned our decisions to fight so hard at times...Just because I wasn't sure if it was my agenda I was fighting, or if it really was what is best for Caitlyn. Yesterday answered all of my questions. Mom's and Dad's you MUST get inclusion in your IEP if you expect your child receive any during the day. And being in the lunch room at the same time as typically developing children is NOT inclusion. That would be equal to putting a poster of the alphabet on the wall and say you taught it to the children! Caitlyn's class goes to recess alone, and they sit off in the corner during lunch. These are the two times that the school tried to sell me on their inclusion policy. The poor children in that room are essentially being isolated from the rest of the school...It just breaks my heart...I wish I could fight for all the other children in that classroom, too! Inclusion isn't just about academics! Children deserve the right to meet and be around their peers!

Caitlyn's off on her field trip today...I'll update what I know probably tomorrow, along with an update after our meeting.

No comments: