Thursday, October 30, 2008

Taking it all in...and that volunteer announcement

Today was our meeting to go over the evaluations. It was emotional and hard. The wording is a hit that hurts so deep. The psychologist says the evaluation results put her "optimistically at a 24-36 month level." He says they gave her the benefit of the doubt on a lot of things. This momma had a really hard time hearing the things that were said. I am processing a lot of it...We have a lot of decisions to make as to what we will ask for at our meeting next Wednesday. That's really all I can say at this point...As I continue to process more, I will work on a post.

An update on the crazy PE lady. Caitlyn will no longer be joining her classes in PE. When the life skills class goes on Tuesday mornings, [my favorite para ed.] will keep her and one other student behind to work on turn taking with rolling and passing balls. They will also work on some yoga poses to help with range of motion. They are going to try and re-work her therapy schedule so that she can have speech or motor therapy while the general education Kindergarten class is in PE. We are so thankful that we wont have to deal with the PE teacher anymore!

Everything in our lives is one day at a time...

And now for the announcement. Since my business cards came in the mail today, it all feels more real. I am the new Washington State Regional Representative for the International Rett Syndrome Foundation. I'm hoping that I am far enough along on my Rett Syndrome journey to help new families just starting out on theirs. I have been stock piling my resources in the last couple of months, and going through some training sessions to make myself familiar with educational resources in our state. I hope that this journey just furthers my own understanding and acceptance on the Rett Syndrome path.

2 comments:

AlyssaGrace said...

Hi! I am sorry to hear how things went, I have seen them give my daughter, who is six these test and I so do not believe that they know really how to judge our girls true knowledge. My husband also sat in on a test that they tried to give Alyssa and thought the same thing. I hope that things will work out. I understand your needing to process the information and your frustration. It is a never ending battle.

Kelly said...

Good for you!!! You will be great!!